- What did you do today?
- Briefly describe your day’s activities
Today, after being split up into two big groups, we carried out the experiment on Distillation under Total Reflux conditions. We actually had some confusion on what to do because the structure of the set up was really big and it was hard to find and remember where the different parts were. But with the help and guidance of our student advisors, we managed to proceed on with the procedure successfully.
- What did you learn today?
- Discuss any learning points from today’s activities
I have learnt about the different types of columns intervals used for distillation. There are columns packed with different materials and also columns with trays.
Tray column - where trays of various designs are used to hold up the liquid to provide better contact between vapour and liquid, hence better separation
Packed column - where instead of trays, 'packings' are used to enhance contact between vapour and liquid
- How do you feel about today’s activities?
- Describe how the project has affected your understanding of the discipline and how it may be applied elsewhere
- Share your insights for the day
I felt that this project taught be how to be disciplined, from how we were left independently to follow the procedures and conduct the experiment without any demonstration of our student advisors or teachers. Today also taught us how to use the lab equipment safely and handle them with care.